One year of Giuseppe, in numbers:
📌 2,819 contributions on company's Gitlab
💻 480 commits
👾 879 hours on Steam games
🔥 112 contributions on open source projects
1.What was your idea of Oval before joining the team?
I had never heard of Oval before finding their job posting as a Back-end Developer. Its technology stack seemed interesting, their innovative app and website caught my attention. I was hoping to find a place where I could work with people who shared my same passions and interests.
2. After a year in Oval, how has this idea changed?
Well, my expectations were not disappointed at all. I'm lucky to work with smart people that are passionate for what they do.
3. Which aspect of the team impressed you the most when joining Oval? Why?
The open minded company culture based on trust, participation and transparency.
This is something that isn't so common at workplaces, at least not here in Italy.
4. What characterises your desk?
Maybe my obsession for order and minimalism 😅
5. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Nice question, unfortunately I haven't found my ideal place where to live yet.
6. What did you do before coming to Oval?
I was a full-time student and was doing part-time jobs to pay my studies. But to be honest, at that time I was spending way more time coding for personal and open source projects than studying 🙈
7. What is your superpower in the workplace?
I would say the ability to deep-dive into problems and stay focused on them until I understand every single bit of them and of their possible solutions.
8. Which superpower would you like to have outside the office?
The ability to manage better my free time. I usually end up wasting tons of time reading stuff on the web or playing (too much😂) video games. But at least I'm aware of it and I can try to improve myself!
9. What was the biggest challenge you faced in Oval?
My biggest challenge in Oval was to learn to work on a big code base with a relatively large team. Being this my first real job as a developer, I was used only to small and most of the times individually developed projects. I am happy to have had the opportunity to face this challenge and to learn something I never could at the university.
10. How did you use your training budget? Have you attended any
interesting conferences lately?
Lots of non-fiction books 😍 Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend any conferences. I was planning to attend PyCon Italy in April 2020 with others in the Back-End Team but then Covid-19 happened.
11. What did you want to do when you grow up?
What I am doing now 💻
12. What’s your favorite quote?
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but
when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry