There are many important dates in Oval and one of those is surely June, 4th 2018.
Why? Because in a single day:
- Oval employees grew by 23%
- we hired the first employee of the UK company
- we hired the first Product Owner
- we started to implement remote work and an agile methodology.
To leave everyone their fair share of space, we decided to introduce our fantastic employees that celebrate one year in Oval, one by one . We will start with Simo Basso, the one who started contributing even before his actual hire date, by coming to the office at the end of every day when he would finish his existing work schedule: he is the third Simone in the company and he works with the backend development team.
More than a job, IT is a passion for Simone as he is among the organisers of Pycon, the biggest Python conferences in Italy.
Simo's year in numbers:
💻 500+ commit
💣 160 pull request reviewed
🛵 1.600+ km on two wheels
☕️ 1.000+ coffees
⛔️ 1 bad habit eliminated (he gave up smoking!)
1.What was your perception of Oval before you started?
I was looking for new challenges and growth opportunities both as developer and as human being. Plus, I really wanted to write code again!
2. After a year working with us, would you say it was everything you expected it to be?
Yes, definitely! This year allowed me to learn a lot and face the challenges facing our team.
3. Given you had the chance again would you take the opportunity to work with Oval?
4. What is your favourite thing to do outside of work?
I consider myself a classical nerd and, as such, I love videogames, TV series and reviewing code written by others.
5. What is your favourite drink to order at the bar?
Whisky, strictly without ice and better if peated.
6. If you could go on holiday anywhere in the world where would it be?
Japan has been top of my wishlist for many years.
7. What is the one thing you couldn’t live without?
A backend developers' traditional answer to this question is "oxygen". Who am I to break a tradition and refuse a ready-made answer?!
8. What is your degree in?
So far I have a degree from the so called Street University. I learnt out of passion, observing colleagues, but I later decided to formalise my competences and I enrolled for Computer Technology.
9. What did you do before you started with Oval?
I was the CTO for a startup for 2 years and before that I was a full stack developer.
10. What's your biggest fear?
I have to admit that I am afraid of syringes.
11. What’s your favourite quote/line from a movie?
"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to" (Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring).
12. What did you want to be growing up?
I had the myth of being the veterinarian, travelling all around the world to cure animals.